FOOTIE FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOOTIE FRIENDS

A place where fellow Footie's can go to speak freely and give each other moral support!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My calcaneus fracture and surgery

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LisaLouLou

My calcaneus fracture and surgery Empty
PostSubject: My calcaneus fracture and surgery   My calcaneus fracture and surgery EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I broke my right calcaneus on June 26, 2012, had surgery and six screws in the heel on July 11, and was then put into an air boot. I used a knee scooter until I started physical therapy and 25% weight bearing in the boot the last week in August, using a walker, then a cane. I continued using the knee scooter around the house, and had a fall on it and sprained my ankle in October. I was not 100% weight bearing and walking without a walker or cane until about the end of the year.

I have continued physical therapy but have not been in a few weeks, and am thinking of not continuing it and doing exercises on my own. My gait is still pretty uneven and lurching. I have trouble keeping my right foot pointed straight ahead, and rolling onto/off my right foot properly when I walk. It seems to be worse when the ankle is swollen, which is often. I need to keep elevating and icing it frequently. My doc had me get fitted for orthotics, but they really make the ankle swell and I need to go back and get them adjusted again. I am hoping that will help get this foot and ankle straightened out and moving more normally again. It's been a long and painful recovery so far, but I keep telling myself that I am at least walking again on my own!

Hope everyone is doing better and on the way to recovery.
Lisa
Back to top Go down

My calcaneus fracture and surgery
Page 1 of 1