FOOTIE FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOOTIE FRIENDS

A place where fellow Footie's can go to speak freely and give each other moral support!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Excited but a little nervous

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AdkLizard46

AdkLizard46

Excited but a little nervous Empty
PostSubject: Excited but a little nervous   Excited but a little nervous EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 3:00 am

Hey everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

Just thought I'd share an update from the world of Liz...I'm 5months post op as of yesterday, been in PT for about 2 months. PT is going well, I'm up to 10 mins on the bike at intensity level 3 (I think that's resistance), 6 mins on the treadmill at 1.5mph, and lots of balance things and resistance stretches. My new "favorite" PT activity (I say favorite because it's really not...haha) is I stand between the parallel bars and I have 3 cones like you would use for say, soccer drills. I have to stand on my surgery foot only, and bend down and pick up all three cones and then bend down and put them back down in like an arc around myself. I do it between the bars because i almost fall on my face. It's tough! But fun. I think. LOL!

But I'm excited and nervous for this weekend. This is my 9th year volunteering at the Maine Winter Special Olympics. So I'm heading up to Maine tomorrow to stay at a friends house in southern Maine, and then on Sunday heading up to Sugarloaf USA Ski resort. I'm nervous because the event always involves A LOT of walking. We serve dinner to about 600 athletes and coaches on Sunday night in about 2 hours, and then Monday we do all the preliminary races (I help at the snowshoe event) and there is a lot of walking up and down the race track; helping athletes, taking snow shoes on and off, timing races, etc. The only warm place is up a narrow staircase. Then Monday night is the Champions Dance, which I never miss, but it will be hard. Then Tuesday is the day that will be the hardest for me. Basically on Monday we run all the athletes through prelims in a span of about 7 hours. Its relaxed pacing, etc. On Tuesday it's the finals and we run the same amount of athletes in about 3 hours. Every year, I've always helped out bring the results and the athletes to the medal podium after each race (each athlete runs 2 races and gets a medal or a ribbon for each one). But that involves walking fast and a lot....which means I can't do it, and that crushes me. I know they'll have other jobs I can do, but it just makes me sad. But I'm excited to go nonetheless.

I'm also excited because I get to see some old friends and go visit my college campus again. My yearly thing.

So that's my ramble for the night....sorry if it was long and boring!

love,
liz
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Excited but a little nervous   Excited but a little nervous EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 am

Hang in there kiddo and enjoy your trip. It's not about what you're able to do. I am sure you'll find ways to keep involved while listening to your limitations. That sounds like such a rewarding experience.
~Kimberly

DRIVE SAFE!!!! afro
Back to top Go down
https://footiefriends.forumotion.com
angelee43

angelee43

PostSubject: Re: Excited but a little nervous   Excited but a little nervous EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:35 am

That sounds awesome Liz!!
As Kimberly said, I am sure there will be plenty for you to do and I am sure that once you are there doing things and catching up with people you will have a great time!!
Keep safe flower
Back to top Go down
AdkLizard46

AdkLizard46

PostSubject: Re: Excited but a little nervous   Excited but a little nervous EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:02 am

Well, made it back from the weekend and all went really well, all things considered.

The second day (Tuesday) I felt like was a pretty seminal moment in my recovery. I ended up doing A LOT of walking, like I have always done in years past, pretty much 4 hours straight no sitting, walking over uneven snow, lots of kneeling, etc. And then I hopped in the car and drove 9 hours. Got home and my foot wasn't even that swollen. Went to PT today and he was impressed with how much motion i've regained....made me feel good.

I even sort of "ran" for all of 10 feet. I needed to get from point a to point b quickly and took a few loping steps that were faster than a walk, but if I saw someone else do it I wouldnt call it a run. sort of made me stop in my tracks and go "whoa! what was that?" haha

just thought i'd share!
Back to top Go down
angelee43

angelee43

PostSubject: Re: Excited but a little nervous   Excited but a little nervous EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:21 am

Welcome back Liz!
Glad it went well - and it sounds like you are doing really well - that is fabulous!!!
I am so happy for you - yayy!!!!! flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excited but a little nervous   Excited but a little nervous Empty

Back to top Go down

Excited but a little nervous
Page 1 of 1