FOOTIE FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOOTIE FRIENDS

A place where fellow Footie's can go to speak freely and give each other moral support!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Confession time.......

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
angelee43

angelee43

Confession time....... Empty
PostSubject: Confession time.......   Confession time....... EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 8:15 am

Ok!
So, had surgery on Oct 6th - now 14 weeks post op. All soft tissue stuff (brostrom-gould, ptt release, small OCD and other lesion removed, bone spur and bone impingement cut off).
Physio has told me I am not ready for the treadmill yet, however, he also told me he is conservative and errs on the side of caution.
Have been on the bike for about 5 weeks now and cross trainer/elliptical for 1 week.
So.....confession time.....little miss independent here, decided to do the treadmill at gym this week, twice (wearing my ankle brace) - medium pace, 20 mins (that was definitely long enough).
Ankle has definitely had more aches and pains but nothing I can't handle. (he, he - when I originally sprained it, I went to the gym and tried to 'walk off' the injury on the treadmill - not smart at all).
Do I confess to my physio on Thursday and tell him?
I don't know - he is so sweet.
You see, I lost 40kgs before my surgery and have lost another 14kgs since and want to lose another 32kgs (yes, I was a big girl) - and I am determined to lose the weight.
I don't want my ankle to hinder me but I don't want to re-damage it and end up back for more surgery.
But I do feel like my ankle handled the treadmill okay.......
I need to 'fess up, I think scratch
I had to get that 'off my chest'..... jocolor
Back to top Go down
zerk

PostSubject: Re: Confession time.......   Confession time....... EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 7:23 pm

I was very strict about following the docs instructions, since he went to school for this sorta thing. I have had a great recovery, better then some maybe.
Back to top Go down
sewingfairy

sewingfairy

PostSubject: Re: Confession time.......   Confession time....... EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 pm

sometimes I think your own body knows best. I was told to walk as much as possible after my op. I didnt feel safe doing it but was told to carry on using my foot and it would speed up healing time! I am now 5 months post op and going in next week to have my bone mended. if I had listened to my own body, i would never have used it so much.
if you felt safe while exercising, tell your PT the truth. its best to let them know what is going on and work with you rather than expect you to take a back seat in your recovery.

Just my thoughts Wink

Kate xx
Back to top Go down
angelee43

angelee43

PostSubject: Re: Confession time.......   Confession time....... EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:27 am

Thanks!!
That's my issue Zerk - I seem to have had a great recovery as well - so I am very lucky.......I did not know what to expect as this was my first experience with hospitals, surgery, stitches, plaster, crutches, everything Smile
I have followed the physio's instructions to the letter - the OS really hasn't seen much of me as I recovered so well and he was running 2hrs behind when I had my 3 mth check up on 3rd Jan (hadn't seen him since day 10 post op) - so I only saw him for 5 mins and he said he didn't need to see me any more unless I had any serious concerns (there were a lot of traumas after new year coming in).

Kate - what did you have done originally?

I guess I answered my own question - I won't go on the treadmill again but I will tell the physio that I did try it out and how my ankle went.

Cheers
Julie xx
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Confession time.......   Confession time....... EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:10 am

affraid I agree with both of you. I've always been a stickler for following doctors orders. Sounds like your care is in the hands of your PT at this point if you're not seeing your doctor anymore. I guess if it were me, I would let him know that you tried it and nothing bad happened. Glad you were able to come here and get that off of your chest. That's what we are here for. Good and bad. Here, I will be the mother hen. TSK TSK Julie! Shame on you! haha All better?

Be careful girlie!
~Kimberly
Back to top Go down
https://footiefriends.forumotion.com
angelee43

angelee43

PostSubject: Re: Confession time.......   Confession time....... EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:22 am

he he he - thanks Mum!! l lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confession time.......   Confession time....... Empty

Back to top Go down

Confession time.......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FOOTIE FRIENDS :: Random Ramblings!-
Jump to: