FOOTIE FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOOTIE FRIENDS

A place where fellow Footie's can go to speak freely and give each other moral support!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Almost 4 years

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
zerk

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Almost 4 years ago was in a head on car accident, person crossed over into my lane. Upper body damages at the time were the problem, and my foot was an after thought.

Shattered my right caclaneous and talus, wrecking the subtalar joint. Was to swollen for surgery, so they waited to see how it went. At 3 months started weight bearing, and just kept going.

This is a life changing injury, but I do all I want to do, I pay for it a later at times. Went back to my old job, which involved long days working on concrete and gravel, though I get to sit alot.

Luckily I like motorsports, motorcycles and atvs, so I am off my feet for those. Also get out and hunt and hike a little. Being on soft earth, is better then concrete.

Glad to see an open place, things can be discussed.
Back to top Go down
Snowrunner

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi Zerk... I don't know much of your story... Did you end up having surgery?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:03 am

Thanks for sharing Zerk. I have seen several posts from you before but never really knew what your story was. I second snowrunner's question. Did you ever have surgery?
Back to top Go down
https://footiefriends.forumotion.com
zerk

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:55 pm

I was to swollen for surgery after the accident. I went to see doc about month out, thinking we were scheduling it, and was still to swollen. was shocked when he talked about the remote possibility of cutting my foot off, to get on with my life.

After that I kept it really, elevated. 2 pillows when I slept and in my recliner, tilted back. Next week, he was saying I am was doing good.

Started walking at 12 weeks, he said wait 6 months and we will talk about surgery. That was 3.5 years ago. It is always possible I may need a fusion someday or shave the bone down to take pressure off.

I really don't know if I missed out, and would have less pain now, or if they operate to much. I had one of the leading surgeons in WI, and got a 2nd opinion.

As for my story, 17 year girl crossed the center line, hit me doing around 55mph. My car was upside down in the ditch. Took 1.5 hours to cut me out. Then flight for lifed to trauma center. 12 broken ribs, punctured lungs, diaphram ruptured, stomach in my chest. Left femur broke in 4 spots, 13" rod, and right heel shattered.

2 weeks drug induced coma, another week in the hospital. Complete wheel chair until week 9, then walker. That isn't like you think. You just don't start using the leg again. Still used wheel chair a bit.

Week 12 weight bearing on foot. Again, you don't just start walking. Had over lap between, wheelchair, walker and cane.

I resisted pain meds other then Celebreax and Voltaren, which I don't think did much for me, for 18 months. Then started taking Tramadol. The tramadol really helped increase my activity. I take motrin or alleve in the morning usually, and tramado9l for break through pain. All in all, I am doing everything I want to do, with some moderation. I'll probably never go on a long hike, but I will go out in the woods for hour or two. Work on my house.

16 months after th3e accident rode my bike to the Arctic Circle. After the accident I was looking at trikes, didn't know if I would be able to do the upkeep on my house. Since then converted my garage into a shop, and bought a cabin in the woods, where I go out and cut firewood.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Wow! That's a crazy story. Sounds like you're really lucky to be alive. That is a lot for a body to go through. I can't believe they suggested just cutting your foot off for a shattered calcaneous. That is insane. So you're from Wisconsin? Winter here in Ohio is bad enough! I don't need it to be any worse. I really need to move somewhere tropical.
~Kimberly
Back to top Go down
zerk

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Actually I am from UP, north of WI. WI is mild. Very Happy

He wasn't suggesting cutting it off that day, just saying at some point it may be a way to get past the pain. Personally I think I would rather be addicted to opium then cut my foot off. Luckily I didn't have to think about it. When I got real serious about elevating it, there was a big turn around. Befpore that I just sat in my recliner with it up. But not really elevated.

One of the PTs told me later, they were worried I was going to lose it. The other thing that helped is water treatment. Everyday in trough with a pump circulating water. Most places don't do it anymore and do the chamber. The chamber takes hours, this was 15 or 20 minutes. It worked.

Around 12 weeks, the bottom of my foot pulled off, almost like black leather. Underneath was a brand new pink foot. Very sensitive. If you are off your feet for a long time, it is good to rub them with your hands, so they are being touched.

Also for me, I had to pull back and hold my toes for, for a few times a day for a few weeks, to get them freed up. They were stuck. They were not damaged, but they were lucked up. Still not perfect. I probably should work them more often, but at some point you just get on with your life and forget about it.
Back to top Go down
zerk

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Taking lots of breaks helps, and excuse to be lazy, I was playing outside, and can feel my foot now. I'll probably take something before it gets bad. Like I said I resisited pain meds for 18 months. But now if I have to take a few tramadol a week I am ok with that.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:09 am

I take tramadol right now as needed for pain. I only take 50mg at a time though. Typically I only take one a day but some days I have two. I try to not take them. I always take one at night before I go to bed. My foot likes to spasm and twitch which is VERY painful in the subtalar joint. affraid
~Kimberly
Back to top Go down
zerk

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Tramadol winds me up, good for work, but I can't take it at night. The script says I can take more then one at a time, but I never have. IMO I think you should start off low. If I started off taking 2 at a time, it would probably have the same effect, as 1.

I will take one, wait a couple hours, and take a 2nd, though 1 is usually enough. For me it is based on activity. Ya it sucks to be in your 30s taking pain meds the rest of your life, but it has made me alot more active.
Back to top Go down
Snowrunner

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Wow Zerk... That is an amazing story. You went through so much and fought through it. I'm so so impressed and inspired.

As for pain meds, I am mostly taking ibuprofen. Occasionally, on the bad nights I take percocet. I also twitch like crazy and end up very sore in the morning. For a bit my doc gave me ambien to help me sleep and relax and that helps. I'm going to ask him what to do about nights so I rest my foot easier. I don't want the Percocet... It's like hitting a tack with a sledgehammer.
Back to top Go down
zerk

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 7:34 pm

I think genric alleve works better then motrin, for. I do switch back and forth, so not to develop a tolerance. I take something most mornings, with breakfast. I think it is better to curtail it, before it gets bad. If I know I am going to be doing something, I may take a tramadol before i start.
Back to top Go down
Snowrunner

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 8:15 pm

I will try that... Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Tramadol winds me up so bad! Puts me in a great mood but I hate how it makes me feel hyper. I am not a fan of taking pain medications. I had a very hard time sleeping after my last surgery. Between being uncomfortable and pain medications, I only slept about 4 hours of the two nights I spent in the hospital.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Almost 4 years Empty
PostSubject: Re: Almost 4 years   Almost 4 years Empty

Back to top Go down

Almost 4 years
Page 1 of 1