FOOTIE FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOOTIE FRIENDS

A place where fellow Footie's can go to speak freely and give each other moral support!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pain at 6.5 weeks?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Snowrunner

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:51 am

So I'm still in the trying to weight bear stage. I really thought I'd be further along. It's been 4.5 weeks since I was told to gradually bear weight. Today I walked a bunch with two crutches, one crutch, a little without either... And used the knee scooter too.

And I am achy again tonight. I can't remember last time and I don't see my doc until Weds... Not that long. But is this ok? I'm terrified I'm going to wreck this again. Sad
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:16 am

What all did you have done?
Back to top Go down
https://footiefriends.forumotion.com
Snowrunner

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:25 am

History:
March 22, 2012: Brostom procedure - tightening of ligament. Arthroscopy and debridement of joint, suture repair of peroneal tendon tear - 2 cm tear

Nov 20, 2012: Peroneal brevis sheath opened - 1 1/2 inch split (still don't know how it got bigger)... Peroneal longus moved and merged into the brevis to create one (hopefuly) strong tendon.

I reread my old posts and I was achy even at 8 and 9 weeks out... but not sure I was quite this achy. This was definitely a more drastic procedure but not as much as many other have done.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:30 am

My situation is a lot different than yours. Where yours is mostly tendon and soft tissue work, mine is in the bones. I can't believe your tear got larger. Did they say how that happened?
Back to top Go down
Snowrunner

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:33 am

I read the surgical report after I left the office on my last visit so didn't get to ask. I know that tendons take longer to heal than bone - doc says its because of lack of blood flow. But how it got torn... I am still wondering if he missed how long it was because he opened the sheath this time? I remember him saying that it had looked only partially healed. I will be asking more questions next week. I am just so nervous. Two times is enough.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:41 am

I can totally relate about having two surgeries. Mine is 10 days away. I just wish it were done and overwith. I hope you get some answers when you go in this week. Have you finished putting away your holiday supplies?
Back to top Go down
Snowrunner

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 am

I did! I got the ornaments down a couple of days ago and my husband Joe got the tree to the recycling place yesterday.

I am going to be thinking of you tons as you go through this. I hope hope hope it goes as perfectly as the first time. The nice thing is you have all of the stuff... That part was nice. I did start to get panicky the night before when I started remembering how awful it was. Get some fun treats you can set up the night before - some random fun things you'd never think of doing. Someone gave me a crossword book and I never do those but it helped in the waiting room... It was very perfect for distracting me. Oh! And get some packs of fuzzy socks! Seriously helpful. They stretched over my toes that were peeking out and I wore one every day and night. Now I have the long ones from Target and wear them under my boot. Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 5:13 am

Funny you mention socks! I was organizing my dressers today and decided to match up socks. I am one of those people who usually just toss all my socks in a drawer. I have gotten frustrated trying to find pairs lately so I dumped them all into a basket and sat in the living room pairing socks. I counted 84 pairs and about 20-30 odd balls that will be matched in laundry. I really have an addiction to socks! hahahahahaha Liz told me I needed a sock-ervention. I had no idea that I had that many pairs. Thank you for your thoughts. It's definitely going to try my patience again. I created this site so we can all talk without the jerk moderators limiting every single thing we say. I appreciate all the support from everyone. I tried finding you on facebook the other day but couldn't. Did you try searching for my profile?
~kimberly
Back to top Go down
zerk

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 5:32 am

The reason, I think, I recovered so quick, is that I kept pushing. Once I was told I could do some thing I did. Once I was told I could bear weight, I stood on it. That is not to say, I started walking.

I know nothing of your injury, and like money, it is easier to spend other peoples, but if you were cleared to bear weight, I would do as much as I could. You got to suck up some pain. You need to get everything working again, muscles to start growing, veins to starting pumping blood.

Obviously, you don't want to set yourself back. You have to decide how much pain currency you want to spend, to get what you want.

I used to wait until the end of the day to do some stuff, so my whole day wouldn't suck. Plus it was late enough to have a drink then. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ginger

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Patti, I had a lot of pain til 12 weeks. Don't kill yourself, but try to do a little more every day. As Zerk said it gets things flowing. I didn't start til 8 weeks. I had a fall soon after that set me back about 3 weeks. It's weird, but one day you get to a point where it just gets better. Last weekend I struggled through the grocery store on one crutch and couldn't get out of there fast enough. Now this week, I'm walking with no crutches just fine. My next ankle brace came In wrong and I'm chomping at the bit to get out of this damn boot. Hopefully Tuesday! Hang in there.
Back to top Go down
Snowrunner

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:08 pm

I really appreciate the straight, no holding back answers. I've been tentative because of having to redo surgery once before. I was okay - no serious pain - in the night but woke up aching and sore in the surgery site. I think I flex and stretch and move hard in the night. My plan for the day - hold back in the morning and as it eases... And as ibuprofen kicks in, step it up.

I still am using the knee scooter a bit and am back to work tomorrow - after two weeks off - and will bring it as back up. Lots to do and the school I work in is big. No students until Tuesday.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

I hold back a bit when it comes to weight bearing stories because I don't like to discourage people as everyone is different but I will share with you how I did my weight bearing. When I was given the go ahead for weight bearing I was balls to the wall. As if I had balls but anyhow haha. I had used my knee scooter to go into the office that day so as soon as I got outside I got my crutches out and put some weight down. Just partial though. I went to eat with my cousin following that appointment and I did partial going in. Within 3 days I got myself down to one crutch and by the end of the week I was going without crutches in the house for short trips like to the restroom and back. For probably two weeks I continued to take my crutches with me when I went places as a security blanket then after that I was comfortable on my own two feet. I think my weight bearing experience is not normal so I don't say a whole lot about it. I don't like to discourage others or make them feel like they need to push themselves too hard. Just listen to your body. Only you know what is best for you.
Happy Hobbling!
~Kimberly albino
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain at 6.5 weeks?   Pain at 6.5 weeks? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pain at 6.5 weeks?
Page 1 of 1